Distributing Membership Cards At Secondary Schools
The distribution of membership cards at middle school and high school can be a Challenge.
Here are some helpful ideas:
1. Host a PTA membership table during school registration, back-to-school night and all PTA functions. Members can receive their cards immediately upon joining PTA.
2. Place a request for PTA membership in the summer registration packet. For those early responders, attach the cards to their student’s schedule at orientation or the first day of school.
3. Hold a barbecue at school with hot dogs, buns and condiments donated by local super markets. As family members and school staff fill out membership envelopes, present them with a free hotdog and a PTA membership card.
4 Cards available at parent-teacher conferences where parents can pick them upalong with their student’s schedule or report card.
5. Provide a contact person’s name and phone number in the newsletter or on the website indicating from whom people can request/pick up their cards.
6. Place cards in addressed envelopes and ask the school secretary if members may pick them up in the school office.
7. Attach cards to a PTA or school newsletter (if allowed).
8. Include the cost of mailing cards to members in the PTA budget.
9 . Ensure that board members have blank cards so when they personally extend an invitation to join PTA, they can immediately provide a membership card.
10. Consider including a “thank you” note, welcome packet, bookmark, PTA brochure, School magnet or calendar of school events when you distribute membership cards.
11. With your give back event have a special give back gift for all PTA members.
12. It is everyone’s job to get members
**Every member needs a membership card!*